A journal about the finding, reconditioning and placing in service of a large C&P letterpress with the aim of producing my fine art prints from engravings.
Saturday, November 28, 2009
Back Shaft Polishing
After most of the week away I decided to spend some time on the back shaft (the one connecting the press bed and the roller frame, and onto which the side arms connect). Now that the items around it have been painted it really looks bad.
The shaft rotates only within the limits of the throw-off linkage, so it's mainly stationary, and dirt and stuff built up over the years allowing some serious corrosion to happen on the upper surface of that shaft. Scotch-Brite, air tool and emery cloth were applied vigorously and I worked up a sweat. Tomorrow after some final polish I will apply some clear coat to the shaft. I decided to try out this product I found, to highlight a few of the machined areas of the press. As mentioned before, I am not going to apply pinstriping and a work of art paint-job. But the machine does not have to look boring either. I am aiming for a "serious machine" look.
I'm interested in the letterpress process for printing my artwork. Turns out my original training from many decades ago is particularly suited to the task at hand, and yet halfway through 2009 I knew nothing about letterpress nor the machines.